1.      Check online through the ICE Online Detainee Locator System

If your friend of family member detained by ICE is 18 years of age or older, you may be able to find where he or she is detained online at You can either search for the person by entering his/her A-number and country of birth or if you do not know the A-number, you can search using the detained person’s first name, last name, country of birth, and date of birth. ICE policy requires the Online Detainee Locator System to be updated within eight hours of release, removal, or transfer of detainees. Keep in mind that ICE may not have entered the name correctly in the system, in which case it may be difficult to find through the Online Detainee Locator System.

2.      Contact local ICE office where friend or family member was arrested

If you cannot find your friend or family member online, try calling the local ICE office where your friend or family member was arrested.  You can find the address and phone number of ICE offices throughout the United States at the following link:

3.      Call ICE Detention Facilities

If you cannot find your friend or family member online or through the local ICE office, you can try directly calling ICE detention facilities. You can search for ICE detention facilities through the following link:


It is important to know that any unaccompanied minor child who is taken for immigration enforcement purposes anywhere in the U.S. is not kept under the custody of ICE. They are instead held under the custody of the Office of Refugee Resettlement within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The contact information for the Office of Refugee Resettlement is as follows: (800) 203-7001 and